Not emergency but need help on bloating

xxrw2

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2002 9:21 am

Hi everyone,
I´m new to this board and wondered if anyone may have and idea of what could be going on with my little Daisy. I´ll have to give you a bit of background info first....
A year ago Daisy (she´s almost 4) developed a rather large tumor on her belly which we had removed. It was found to be cancerous but the vet didn´t know if it has spread. She said if it had spread I could expect her to live 3-6 months. So far she´s been just fine. Last month I found a small tumor in the same spot again and had it removed....no problems and she´s been fine. Last night I noticed her belly was VERY bloated and of course I was panic stricken. This morning it´s back to almost normal and she seems fine. We always feed her pellets, hay, and fresh leaf lettuce (not iceburg) and dandelion greens daily along with some green pepper and peapods. I recently got her some spinach since I couldn´t get the dandelions at the store that week. Could it be causing her to be gassy? I really hate to run to the vet again unless I have to....this has been pretty expensive so far and I have a dog that had to have both eyes removed all at the same time as Daisy was having her problems! UGH! Sorry, I´m babbling! Anyway, if anyone has any ideas I´d really appreciate any help....
Michelle

Louise

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2002 9:37 am

I´m not an expert but I´d suggest getting her to the vet ASAP.
I recently lost a much loved pig from bloat - it can be fatal.

What you describe may not be the same thing but don´t risk it ok. Get her to the vet as soon as you can.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2002 9:38 am

From my understanding, bloat can be very serious. If it seems to have subsided, it could be a blockage has moved through and it was a natural generation of gas. Is your cavy passing pellets fine? Are things moving along? I did a search on bloat here and only found some advice Pinta gave regarding preventing bloat in an injured pig: You might also want to consider giving metoclopramide (Reglan) for a while to help keep his digestion moving.

If you feel there is any bloat, I would call a vet. There may be either still be a blockage or some bad bacteria generating alot of gas (this is just a guess -- I´ve never had a pig with bloat).

xxrw2

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2002 8:35 pm

Thanks for all the info! She is pooping just fine and urinating just fine as well. She´s back to normal now and I´m thinking it was gas or like Lynx said, maybe a blockage that has passed. I´ve got a great vet just around the corner, thank goodness so if I need her she´s very close. I´ll be keeping a close eye on her ;o) She´s my sassy little angel!
Thanks again!
Michelle