Lice or mites?

lisam

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2002 12:43 pm

Lately I have noticed something new with a few of my pigs. They have these little black "specs", almost like dirt or black dandruff. These specs don´t appear to move even if I stare at them for long periods of time. The pigs don´t have abnormal hair loss, and don´t have the intense itching that they usually have with mange mites. They just look, well, dirty.

I read the descriptions of parasites in Guinealynx, but didn´t really see anything that jumped out at me. Should I go ahead and give everyone a dose of topical ivermectin, or would Advantage be better in this case?

pigpal

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2002 1:07 pm

What color skin do they have?

If they have dark skin it could be exactly what you think it is - black dandruff! My dal has tiny black flakes from his dark pigmented spots which show up against the white area having pink skin.

lisam

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2002 5:27 pm

Well, could be. I have one of those golden color pigs (can you tell I never took that color genetics session from Amanda K at CG?) and her specks are brownish looking. The black and white pig has the most noticable specs on her white fur right next to the black patches. These specks do not appear to adhere to the hair shaft, and are found mostly when I brush the pigs. So yes, I guess it could be dandruff.

Lynx, could you please come over and take a picture and post it for me?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2002 6:13 pm

You´ll have to visit. It will be quite a trip but you can take in Monticello when you get here (3 or 4 miles down the road).

I guess if they hadn´t been treated with ivermectin recently, I would try that topically. Maybe first giving them a shampoo using Nizoral. That combination would help if it were dandruff and would take care of parasites.

I had this vision of you with your eyes glued to your piggy -- perhaps getting woozy from the concentration and hallucinating little tiny dancing flecks of dandruff (watch out for static!). If you click your shoes together three times (and throw in some nice wishes for one of your aunts) maybe the ivermectin and Nizoral will take care of it -- whatever it is.

pigpal

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2002 7:53 pm

Ever since my animals started scratching I´ve been driving my family nuts. I just have to rush over and examine each little speck I find under the microscope. Let me tell you, there are a lot of specks in my house!

I may not always be able to identify the tiny creatures that lurk around our home, but it´s easy to distinguish whether it´s just dirt or dandruff rather than a little visitor. My pigs´ minute specks show up clearly as flakes of skin. It´s fascinating, but I wish I had a more powerful microscope.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2002 10:21 pm

Lisam, briing the pig tomorrow and I´ll bring my digital camera. My pics don´t turn out as good as Lynx´s, if I get that close things blur. But we´ll try so we can post here, because my black dal has the same thing! And I hate it! And yes, I´ve stared for hours too. When I was showing him, I would always wash and wash. And still, the judge would say "this pig needs a bath" ppfftt. Not. So we´ll do pictures.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2002 5:57 pm

When cats and dogs have flees, they have this black "dust" on them. It´s flee poop. Take one of the flakes from your pig, put it on white paper towel, wet your finger and rub the flake. If it turns red/pink, it´s dried digested blood.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2002 6:39 pm

Hey, yes, I remember that little trick. A good test to see if it is something more than dandruff.