Jet and Joan

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:34 am

Okay got 2 new pigs only wanted 1 but got stuck with 2. Big expense! Anyways Jet was born April 5th 2022 and Joan 21st of May 2022.

Now Joan has NO problems I know off except squeaks a lot. I have to go round house wearing head phones. It is a hungry squeak which she does even if she has been fed. Driving me nuts.

Jet how ever has nose that is naked in fur and top half of stomach also naked. Vet cut a few bits of fur and looked under microscope and could see nothing. She gave me PMP a dog and cat eye and ear drops/ointment. Is this safe for pigs? When I used it on her nose fur started to grow back. Once I stopped a few days later fur missing again.

She also suggested I use it on Jays dermatitis paw. Which is naked of fur and she bites it. Let me know and thanks in advance. Can't believe have 5 piggies again!

Jewel in corner of eyes she looks like she is crying then she gets scabs. Have been using Amacin for 7 days then stop but 3-6 days later it comes back. Is it dangerous to use long term?

Sorry for using thread for so many pigs. Just easier as Jay and Jet maybe use PMP and Joan it is half her thread and for now Jewels thread is locked by my request! Thanks guys.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:02 am

It took me a while to find the product, which looks to be this:
https://www.theanimalpharmacy.com.au/pr ... -30ml.html

Main ingredient is Miconazole, which is a common antifungal. There is an antibiotic in this product called Polymyxin b sulphate which I have not heard of and can't speak to its safety if ingested. I guess since you already used it and there were no ill effects, it might be okay to apply sparingly and rub it in well. Apparently the vet thinks this is a fungal infection. If it were me, I would be inclined just to buy Miconazole over the counter and use that instead, just to be in the safe side, especially if the area doesn't look red and inflamed. Without a photo, though, we can't see what you and your vet are seeing.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:06 am

And always be cognizant of the possibility of mites. Fungal infections and mite infestations can be present at the same time. Do agree, if you are seeing progress, it would seem to confirm a fungal infection.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:19 pm

And if it is a fungus, keep using the medication until the hair is pretty well grown back in. Stopping too soon just means that the infection will come back. Fungus can be very hard to get rid of.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:17 pm

Looks like to me from what you've put down that you need to continue the medicine at least until the fur has completely grown back and even for a few days after. If it's mites, there's nothing better than topical ivermectin. If you do wind up using it, the dosing chart by weight is very accurate.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:26 pm

I am in a state of shock. I am sitting here crying and shaking and don't know what I am going to do??? I am going to bed and hoping all a bad dream!

I have just gone to feed my girls and found poor Jet I bought a wee baby has given birth to 3 babies! Now are these babies from father or brothers? I am NOT equipped for 8 pigs. I am on a single pension and barely make ends meet now.
What am I going to do? Jet is just over 4 months herself way too young to be having babies! Males should be separated from mothers and sisters at 2-3 weeks of age. Father separated once poor sow is pregnant!

Here I was thinking Jet had little pot belly and I mean little, now she is all skin and bones. Poor baby! Why do people do this?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:19 pm

I am sorry for the stress you and Jet have been under. It may be possible to find good homes for them in a month or two.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:30 pm

It may be possible to find good homes for them in a month or two.

But if Jet got pregnant by a relative I can't in good conscious give them away. They may have health problems down the track and people here don't take piggies to vet.

The lady I got Jet from has offered to take her and the babies but I can't do that either and have Jet leading the life of having babies for the rest of her life.

I can take care of them it is the money side of things that has me VERY worried. Thanks Lynx!

Lisa12

Post   » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:40 am

Congrats on new family members!

I wouldnt worry too much about inbreeding, i dont like it, too but i think they should be perfectly fine...

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:04 am

Thank-you Lisa12. Got more info from breeder now according to her she separated sows from boars at 3 weeks. So born April 5th separated April 26th BUT if Gestation period 59-73 days my calculation makes it they were separated May 22nd at age roughly 7 weeks of age so naturally sow/s got pregnant. I wonder how many more got pregnant? I worked this out as it was July 2nd when we got Jet and Joan. Thankfully from 2 different people! And Jet gave birth August 7th 2022. Hope she has milk she keeps running from them! Keep you posted!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:35 pm

Buttercup's babies are inbred and three out of the 4 are perfectly healthy. The one we lost, Ruffles died of a digestive system blockage, which we don't know if it was a result of a defect caused by inbreeding or just one of those things that happens. I'm not a fan of inbreeding either, but it was unavoidable in your case and mine. Regardless, those babies should be ok. This is a happy time for you, or it should be. My advice is to enjoy those adorable little pups until they are old enough and then find them great homes if you can't keep them.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:55 am

Thank-you Renonvsparky! This lady thought more of money than the pigs. I have no idea whether Jet was inbred too? Babies look normal. But then so did Jessie till 3 years old then had major teeth issues, but she still lived to 8 even with a misaligned mouth and syringe fed for last 5 years!

Taking the family to vet Friday to be checked. The lady I got Jet from offered to refund me and take them back but I know here sick pigs are reptile food or left to die. I couldn't do that to them. I will try living with 8 pigs and see how I manage. But with fruit and veg at outrageous prices to to fire and floods every penny will count from now on!

I know you don't give to guinea pigs but iceberg lettuces are selling for $14.00 each currently. Speaking of which I know it can cause tummy upsets, the runs etc but would it hurt to feed them iceberg lettuces for 3 days? Just till pension is in and I can buy Oak lettuce.

Lastly, does mum need anything special? Like special food, vitamin C supplements? Been ages since I had a litter of pups to care for! I will try and enjoy this time, been a long time since something nice has happened to me since my husband left me. Keep you posted!