Growth on Female- concerned

Pearly321

Post   » Sat May 28, 2022 1:12 am

Hello all,

My female Guinea pig Pearl is about 6 years old and has developed a dark brown growth on her leg that sticks out vertically. It is more long than wide, and is about the size of a very small raisin (except it's skinny not circular). I’d say it’s soft and it does not seem to be causing her pain. She’s eating and drinking normally, but I became concerned when I noticed the growth. Does anyone have an idea of what this might be?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat May 28, 2022 1:19 am

Can you post a picture of it?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 28, 2022 8:34 am

You can email me a clear crisp picture if you have one:

Pearly321

Post   » Sat May 28, 2022 6:46 pm

I'm not sure how to post a picture on here from my Mac but I will email a picture!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 28, 2022 10:20 pm

I got your pics. Two were "heic" files so I had to figure out how to convert them to jpgs. Initial thought is they resemble a polyp - normally I've only seen polyps in ears. Perhaps related to warts. I believe skin growths like this can be removed surgically by a vet.

Is it hard and crusty? Firm? Soft? Are hairs growing out of it? Has it bled at all?

It is also remotely possible it is sebaceous material but I would expect the skin would break and not be raised like this is.

Here are your pics:

Pearly321

Post   » Sat May 28, 2022 10:35 pm

Thank you for your reply! It is not hard or crusty. It is more firm in that when I touched it, it could be moved around but not bent or anything like that. It feels soft and hairs are not growing out of it. It has not bled at all and when I touched it she gave no indication of pain.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 29, 2022 11:37 am

Is it like a ball that comes to a smaller point where it meets the skin?

I would be tempted to break the skin of it at the highest point (stop if you see any blood) to determine if there is any sebum present - though the safest thing is to see a vet, who will likely be quite familiar with growths like this.

p.s. one technique veterinarians use is removal of a growth using a ligature to cut the blood supply. This is done, for example, with "extra" toes (polydactyly), as in this picture:

More about this condition:
https://www.guinealynx.info/feet.html#poly

Pearly321

Post   » Sun May 29, 2022 7:39 pm

No, it does not come to a smaller point where it meets the skin. It's pretty much the same size throughout, but I will read through the link you sent. I did move the growth around with a little pressure to see if it would remove, but it didn't and I was worried about blood so I didn't keep it going.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 29, 2022 9:35 pm

It sounds like a surgical removal would be best.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue May 31, 2022 6:01 am

Sort of reminds me of the skin tags people get, but I haven't seen that in any of our guinea pigs. I would have it looked at.