Eye ulcer snd vet visit

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:26 pm

Read over the postop page again. Some of your questions are answered there.
https://www.guinealynx.info/postop.html

And if you want to learn more about stones, reread this too:
https://www.guinealynx.info/stones.html

sozansound2

Post   » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:27 pm

you mean the assumption she may be in pain cause of biting?

i don't mean to sound ignorant. just been sleep deprived with everything going on (not just my guinea).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:31 pm

That is one possibility. Just be observant.

sozansound2

Post   » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:57 pm

I'm going to place fleece on top of the towels cause she is biting the towel enough to take the threads off the towel apart.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:05 pm

Ah, yes, the biting of the towels may be a sign of pain. I think the pain page is linked to from the postop page. Talishan's advice is so helpful.
https://www.guinealynx.info/pain.html

sozansound2

Post   » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:09 pm

she still moves if you remove her hut but that biting i feel it is pain. i wanted to wait 1 more hour (at 11pm est) to give her the meds so it can last longer through the night

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:26 pm

You may or may not be aware that once a day metacam won't last 24 hours. Many of us, with consultation with our vets, split the dose in half, add 10%, and give it twice a day. So if you were giving 1 cc once per day, you'd split the dose into two .5 cc doses, add .05 cc, and give .55 cc twice a day.

She'll get better pain control that way.

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:02 am

i always gave her 2 doses of 0.15 of metacam a day. last Saturday was supposed to be once a day but there was no way i would do that to her with that stone. i was going to continue 2 doses a day after the operation as well. the vet agreed.

i would give her the first dose at 11am and the second dose around 11pm.

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:30 am

when i went to give her the morning meds with 3 syringes full of water, she ended up pooping a fingers length of poop. it was like 4-5 poops lightly attached in a line. like sausage links attached by the ends. never seen anything like that.

good news is she pees and poops good aside from the conga line of poops. just found it interesting. i never stopped giving her probiotics but i feel since she does not eat nearly enough hay, it may take a bit before she poops normally.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:05 pm

That string is mucous and I think is generally a sign of a gut flora imbalance. How much are you giving her in the way of probiotics?

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:56 pm

i been giving her 2 crushed tablets per day (1 in the morning and 1 during lunch with veggies). it did not look like mucous to me. i do have a picture.
Edit: here is the image

right now i been giving her some water since i am not sure if this is the case but she was eating some hay and like 3 minutes later she started coughing every now and then. i thought maybe a piece of hay lodge itself in. i am not sure. she never coughed after this.

Edit 2: i gave her a small piece of lettuce. if there was something lodged in there, i thought maybe the lettuce was big enough to drag it down

[Edit by Lynx, adding poop pic permanently:]

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:41 pm

the amount of hay she eats is pretty miniscule to almost nonexistent. i know i smear critical care on lettuce but should i increase the amount by syringe feeding to compensate?