Medicine for Hay Poke on Eye

Linollieum

Post   » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:22 pm

Hello!

My boy had a hair poking his eye that I managed to safely get out that irritated his eye really quickly.

The vet won't be able to see him for a while and his eye is still quite cloudy and red, though the weeping has stopped since I took the hair off his eye. I'm really worried that his eye will get worse in the next few days without treatment.

I researched Terramycin and eye wash like Optrex with Chloramphenicol but I can't find any of those things in Canada online or in store, at least none that could arrive quickly. So far the best thing I've found accessible is either Vetericyn on Amazon that is not an antibiotic and will take a few days to arrive, or a random human eye drop from shoppers or something to at least moisturize his eye.

But aside from Terramycin or a Chloramphenicol eye wash, or just waiting for a vet to be able to see us I can't find what I can put on his poor eye over the next few days :(

Thanks!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:35 pm

How about give your local pharmacist a call and ask what he/she'd recommend for a human as a safe eye wash for an irritated eye? This, you could get more quickly. It could flush and moisturize perhaps. I randomly did a search for products. Products like Visine are pretty common:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/shopping/optometrists-sa ... s/ar-AAOjiRx

They are for allergies but would soothe the eye and make your guinea pig feel better.

My only worry would be that there is something else irritating his eye.

Linollieum

Post   » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:52 pm

Thank you! I did see visine, and I also found optrex, but only basix optrex thats just witch hazel and such without Chloramphenicol. But if that might be okay then maybe I'll get that basic optrex tomorrow and start using a drop a couple times a day.

Hopefully that can at least help him get to the vet without his eye getting worse.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:56 pm

As I mentioned, do talk to the pharmacist, too. You might want to put in drops more frequently than twice a day. Some of these drops relieve pain.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:26 pm

I'd see if I couldn't get him in to an emergency vet. Eye injuries are very painful, and there's the danger of infection that may result in the necessity of moving the eye.

We don't ordinarily recommend emergency vets for guinea pigs, but eyes are eyes are eyes, and any competent vet should be able to give you something.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:01 am

What bpatters says is so true! It is MUCH better to have the eye looked at, even by a vet who is not an exotics vet. Eye issues can be serious.
http://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html

Linollieum

Post   » Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:31 am

I'll try more vets first then tomorrow, this was a bad time for it to happen since everywheres closed for the next few days :( but hopefully I can find somewhere that will look at him or have better products

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:10 am

Yeah, my pig, Mr Bubbles has the eye thing going on right now. It kicked up on New Years eve, so I can't get him to the vet until Monday at the soonest. He's had this tear duct problem for most of his life that flares up from time to time. I keep it clean the best I can and I gently manage just under the eye in a circular motion and I have antibiotic eye drops to keep it from getting infected.

This time it's worse than usual and with him being 5 years old and more at-risk of serious health issues, I am taking him to the vet to be on the safe side. He's not experiencing any problems with activities, eating or drinking so far. It's just his one eye getting a little bit gunky. His other eye is fine and there's no nasal discharge. No issues with chewing or head tilt. You can see the bottom lining of his eye socket is swelling, but it goes down and his eye runs when I massage it.

Anyway, I thought maybe your guinea pig might have the same problem.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:47 am

Preventive antibiotics are not really a good idea. More than anything, they'll just create bacteria that are resistant to them, making a bad problem worse.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:28 pm

He's not getting the eye drops yet. I have them just in case.

Linollieum

Post   » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:49 pm

In case anyone sees this, to update, by the time we found a vet that could see my piggie, he said the cornea of his eye is pretty dried up and gone, but he prescribed us Baytril, Tobramycin, and Meloxicam to try for at least a few days to see if it will help heal the eye. Not too much hope but fingers crossed...

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:29 pm

Sorry to hear that. Wishing you and your piggie the best.

Linollieum

Post   » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:34 pm

Thank you Renonvsparky!

I don't know if anyone will see this, but I have a question/update!

We gave the baytril and tobramycin for two weeks, and the eye healed a lot! The red and white completely left, and his eye is smooth now and a lot of the original colour came back, its just slightly cloudy now.

The problem is that now I can see the scratch from the hay poke on the center of his eye, and if I start to reduce the tobramycin, the red returns to his eye and it starts weeping.

So we have another vet appointment with a better vet (the last vet was horrific) but in the meantime I'm wondering if anyone knows what we can do long term to fix his eye, since we would prefer to at least get it stable without needing antibiotic eyedrops a few times a day every day forever to keep his eye from swelling and turning red :( or needing surgery or losing the eye.

Obviously this new vet will know best most likely, but the last vet was completely incompetent and offensive and we're worrying about getting this right for our little guy.

TLDR: how to stabilize the cornea scratch in the longterm without surgery or eye removal.

Thanks!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:40 pm

It does sound like your best move right now is to continue with the drops until you see the vet. You want it as healed as possible. It may just be a matter of time.

Linollieum

Post   » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:22 am

Okay, thank you Lynx!

The last vet was scaring us because we just met with him again yesterday for a solution to the redness and all he would say is "we can just remove the eyeball. But he will die because he's so old" (4 years old). And refused to explore any other options or alternatives to help the redness.

We think hes just a bad vet, he never examined or touched our piggie aside from yanking him up into the air and dangling him sideways by his neck and choking him for a few seconds... And he also got really offended that we were asking him questions about the medications and started insulting us. Also made racist comments to my wife, but we were still kind of scared now since this vet was so doom and gloom about the eye. Thank you for the reassurance!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:11 pm

New vet. ASAP.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:51 pm

New vet asap and lodge a complaint with the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), USDA, and anyone else you can think of. If I saw someone handling my guinea pig like that, I would freak out on them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:44 pm

Ditto on the new vet. Poster is in Canada (Vancouver) but there should be a way to complain there too.

A poster here, Pinta, likely has a very good vet (Pinta is in Vancouver too).

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:09 am

I saw Vancouver and I assumed Washington State. I totally forgot there was a Vancouver in Canada. I'm sure Canada has regulations and certifications for veterinarians. It would be a good idea to find out which agency or agencies regulate that and report that vet before they cause undue suffering or worse.

Linollieum

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:55 am

Yeah I'm going back to my wife's old vet from before we moved with our piggie today. We know they at least specialize in guinea pigs and other exotics and have been good before when she went there a couple times.

We got really upset with the new vet when he did that, my wife said "careful, careful!" And he just ignored her. He was just very confrontational even with very simple polite questions (if we asked what the medications did specifically he would take it super personally and get offended and be really condescending, saying "you won't even understand" or start using more technical terms like calling Baytril Enrofloxin or whatever it is just to try to show off and saying "you won't even understand what that is, will you?" Little did he knew I had at least googled that much :) But aside from getting out frustration it didnt really accomplish much since he wasn't listening. He just argued with us for several minutes, refused to actually do any tests or solutions aside from "I can just take the eyeball out" until we left. His solution was to give us a referral to a vet that doesnt even take guinea pigs :p

Sorry, I'm rambling now since it was so frustrating. It was pretty clear from the start that since the receptionist had told him we were unsatisfied with how he had handled the first appointment, he just came back looking to pick a fight.

Maybe I'll have to ask Pinta what their vet is depending on how tomorrow goes, thank you everyone! I think it oddly helps with the anxiety to not feel alone on this stuff.

25 posts