Jill, Jaffa and Jupiter

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:55 am

Thanks Lynx! Jill is still not doing well, Monday and Tuesday her poops were normal, putting on weight, eating and wanting food. Then bam at 4.00pm feed(syringe) her poops were runny again, weight going down, off her bowl food.
Took her too the vet and all he did was remove Metomide from list of medication saying it was moving food to fast. She was on twice a day BUT instead of removing it we have dropped it to once a day as she does get windy. Jay's poops were tested as we give them as poop soup for Jill and tested normal. In fact Joys poops were great.
When Jill's poops tested he could not see any bugs good or bad.

What I was trying to say yesterday was the medication is not working!
1. Predmix is NOT stimulating appetite or thirst. Still NOT eating bowl food!
2. Poop soup is doing nothing. (6 Jay poops 4 times a day).
3. Pron8ure is also doing nothing. (Twice a day).
4. Metomide is doing its job moving things along as she does gets windy. (Once a day).
5. Anaplex is also doing nothing.
6. Glucose NOT giving energy or picking her up.

Jill continues to lose 10 or more grams in weight each day back now to 775grams. Poops are still mushy and intestines/bowels are still inflamed. Surely the VIN website would help or something else for Jill. We HATE to see her like this and we feel we are slowly losing her. This all started when put on first Enrofloxacin back in December 2020 then Bactrim in January 2021.
Any advice much appreciated. I feel like I am just wasting money and Jill is getting no better! Thanks in advance!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:00 am

Did you feel the new probiotic was helping at all? At this point, I would skip the Jay poops. The ideal guinea pig poops would be the green cecal feces from a very healthy guinea pig. The green ones are hard to come by and so many of your guinea pigs have been ill that I don't know which if any would help.

How much glucose was she getting? (calories a day) I understand the theory behind giving it to her but it may also mess with her intestines.
I have to look up Predmix, Pro8ure, and Anaplex.

Can you tell us more about them? Is the Pro8ure, Prosure? It looks like it is formulated for human nutritional needs, not herbivores. What is the prednisolone dose? Are you also giving something like Critical Care?

PredMix Oral Liquid (prednisolone sodium phosphate ...
https://www.myvmc.com/drugs/predmix-oral-liquid/
PredMix Oral Liquid contains prednisolone sodium phosphate which is changed to prednisolone after it enters the body. Prednisolone belongs to a group of medicines called corticosteroids. It is a synthetic version of a naturally occurring body hormone called cortisol. It works by entering inflammatory cells and blocking the inflammatory reaction.

Prosure® | Abbott Nutrition Malaysia
https://abbottnutrition.com.my/products/prosure
Drinking Prosure® helps to build lean body mass, improve quality of life, and increases energy levels for those on chemotherapy and needs to gain weight.

Anaplex Information - Drugs and Treatments - MedHelp
https://www.medhelp.org/drugs/Anaplex/show/1975
Uses: This combination medication is used to temporarily relieve symptoms caused by the common cold, flu, allergies, or other breathing illnesses (such as sinusitis, bronchitis). Antihistamines help relieve watery eyes, itchy eyes/nose/throat, runny nose, and sneezing. Decongestants help to relieve stuffy nose and ear congestion symptoms.

It would appear the PredMix has the potential to help. Don't know why the Anaplex would be prescribed (perhaps you can explain the theory behind it). It would appear the digestion is way off. Getting things back to normal will be so difficult. Was the Baytril given last year, a really high dose?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:30 am

Thanks Lynx! First Pron8ure-This use to be called Protexin but for some reason late last year they changed the name. https://www.iahp.com.au/feature-products/pron8ure It is a Probiotic.

Anaplex-for vitamins and minerals-mainly for dogs but when I remove it her poops get really bad!

Glucose she is still on twice a day and she gets 0.2-0.3mls twice a day.

Have not been game to change to new Probiotic as everytime I change her medication or diet it gets bad for poops and weight. Even when I change nothing her poops and weight can go down hill. Plus not eating bowl food mainly fed via the syringe so try not to tamper with bowl food.

Predmix she gets 0.1mls once a day for 5 days and gets week-end off. Strength 5mg/ml. At one point she was getting 0.8mls.

Yes have been syringe feeding her for 18 months as a supplement but now she is getting more C&C than food. Food-Oak lettuce, grass, carrot, 3 times a day-small amounts. Pellets if she wants then(rarely does), Timothy hay(won't touch) and meadow hay which she loves.

Baytril last year was 0.4mls twice a day for 5 days-25mg/ml. Then 10-14 days later Bactrim 0.2mls twice a day for 7 days. Then 3 days later mushy poop. Back in March she got an infection and was put back onto Bactim for 5 days.Unsure on strength of Bactrim.

Jay and Jersey have(touching wood) never been sick except for the odd hay poke in the eyes. Jays poops were tested and had plenty of good bugs and looked healthy under microscope.

Hope this helps answer your questions Lynx! Thanks for reply.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:30 pm

The Pron8ure looks like a pretty decent probiotic.

You said the Anaplex was for vitamins and minerals? I can't find a list stating what they are. I ask because though this does not look to me like a vitamin and mineral supplement, some vitamins are fat soluble and ingesting too much can result in problems caused by the vitamins themselves. Vitamin C is water soluble, not fat soluble so it is a better choice.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:56 am

Fingers crossed for Jill!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:38 am

We took her off Anaplex back in March till April and there was no change in her condition. But will try again and see how she goes this time. It cost $21.50 for one tablet which you crush and add water and give via syringe. She gets 0.2mls once a day.

Also instead of feeding her every 6 hours we are now doing every 4 hours feeding less more often to see how she goes. She lost 5grams over night so far paws crossed this will work. But so far no change in her condition as yet. Keep you posted. Thanks for the replies Lynx and pigjes.

They say recipe for Pron8ure hasn't changed but girls hate it, they prefer Protexin and how it tasted.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:30 am

On another matter, the organic coconut oil is making the girls paws redder (white paws anyways not sure on the black paws) and vet suggested Manuka honey. What does you all think on this one? I remember another vet suggested it for Jessie's red paws but I think someone on here said not to use it. Is this right? Thanks so much in advance. He also suggested it wouldn't hurt if Jill eat a little each day. I was concerned about the sugar at this point. Thanks.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:31 am

Are they walking on fleece? If so, are you using a non-irritating detergent and rinsing thoroughly?

Why are you restarting the Anaplex? It is the Anaplex I am concerned with. I don't know what it actually is. Can you find an ingredient list?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:42 am

1. The girls are walking on vet/dry bed- the green back one-https://www.petnetwork.com.au/collectio ... ck-vet-bed
2. Laundry detergent I use are either https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/prod ... ont-loader or this one https://shop.coles.com.au/a/mount-barke ... wder-lemon Washing machine is a front loader.
3. Anaplex-vet put her on this February this year, after a month I took her off it in March. But when her poops became worse in April I put her back on it. Now in June I will again stop it and see how she goes.
4. What about the honey for the feet? Coconut oil is making the pigs with white paws-Jill, Jewel,Jay with feet that are now redder than before I started. Was concerned about the sugar.

Hoping I have cleared this up and answered your questions Lynx! Thanks for the reply!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:06 pm

One of my brothers would break out terribly because of many detergents. I think my mom had to use a hypoallergenic detergent. I think the Clear and Free "All" detergent has been around for a very long time.
https://www.medconsumers.com/best-hypoa ... detergent/

There are no particular products I can recommend (though the All is likely the most readily accessible) but perhaps through your own research you could find something in Australia. I think guinea pig feet are thin skinned and sensitive because of the way we keep them (often on a soft environment so they don't develop callouses).

For the last link, I get a warning I can't shop there.
"Coles Online is not available in your country or access has been blocked."

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:22 am

The Coles one is lemon fragrant one. I will look into it. Thanks Lynx. Guessing using the honey to put on her feet is a no?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:49 am

I don't think it would hurt but it might not make much difference. Your best bet is a protectant of some sort. Desitin cream for babies ( https://www.desitin.com/ ), for example, works well as a barrier to urine with urine scald. Feet, however, pose a problem because the cream would rub off. If you feel this is a serious problem that can't be resolved by changing your detergent and diligent bedding changes, at least one manufacturer offers a liquid bandage that would provide a good barrier. With pododermatitis, bandaging may be necessary. Thin skinned guinea pigs may have red feet due to blood circulation (ridding the body of heat).