Unsure of what happened to my pig

Lisa12

Post   » Sun May 30, 2021 1:55 pm

Thanks, Lynx so much, yes! I quickly googled grease gland(i didnt know what this is and this was first link):
https://www.guinealynx.info/grooming.html
:)I will read everything... it lookes like the first photo..

So we can clean it with Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Coconut Oil and the hair will grow back? How many times per day?
I ll get photos quickly..cause it looks a bit irritatted..does he need oral AB if its infected?

Currently we have only two pets: Irie the pig and Ziggy the cat.
I dont have any other pigs-i had Lee, Gallimore and Kluivertka-sadly they arent here anymore.:(

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 30, 2021 4:54 pm

Yes, it does look like the grease gland. Nothing to worry about! I think there may always be missing hair. Keeping it clean with the cold pressed coconut oil will keep it healthier.

Lisa12

Post   » Mon May 31, 2021 2:19 am

Thanks! Wish i had your knowledge ..#respect
We already ordered coconut oil..:)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 31, 2021 7:29 am

I am getting older and more forgetful! An observant owner goes a long way with basic knowledge and an awareness of what is normal for their guinea pig, along with a good vet!

I think the hair will always be wonky in that area.

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:46 pm

IRie actually really likes grease gland cleaning with coconut oil so its cool:).

However, i have some really wierd question so please excuse me...:).

I have grandpa that i visit today with my sister and he had sepsa last year(he is 80)y.o., fighting bladder cancer for 15 years-god bless him. After surgery last year he had sepsa due e.colli. He was given 20% of surivival..but he made it, however, he still has to be on ABs all the time..he was even able to walk on his own..now, he is worse again..he was in hospital for a week now he is again in homecare by my mother and her sisters..and they are really taking care for him..
He is also infected with VRE baccteria-its skin infection...
And my question is.. (as i said i am sorry,my sister thinks i am way over complicating, but irie is also infected for life with bordetella, despite bein in brilliant conditions, and my other pig Galli had two infections,soi ve had it with baccterias for life, let me tell you).

My grandma gave me some salad for IRie..but before she was checking my granpas temperature and she didnt touch him but she didnt wash her hands..

And i dont know..its really nice green leafy salad-iries favourite..but i think i ll throw it away, or we re gonna eatit..cause even if i wash it for hour VRE can survive..what do you say?Lynx, or anyboy, please:)?Advice..

I cant ask my family cause they would say i am crazy with worrying about Irie :)

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:49 pm

My mum only said all is disinfected..but i dont know how many time per day they do that..

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:03 pm

We have already solved the problem..Irie wont get this salad and my dad got him another from our local famer-vegetable dealer..:)

And my grandpa was negative on VRE last time in hospital, but this stuff its very resistant and tough to destroy..hope h ewill feel better soon.

And with Irie i risk nothing. Nothing.:)!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:05 pm

Sorry I was not available to answer your question but I think another salad was indeed the better choice, if you are playing it safe.

Sorry your grandpa is ill.

Lisa12

Post   » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:23 am

Today would have been Gallimore-Galli˙s 4 th birthday...
He was the best little pig you can imagine, he by miracle survived the accident with previous owner..who left him at some vet clinic where he was treated..they gave him a chance altough they could have done it better..anyway..i know they wished him well-but i could tell there were some mistakes done early in treatment and surgeries..than i brought him to us..our little lion squeequing like a parrot, very lively, lovely, full of life..three legs, but still fighting..forever grateful for the time we had..sadly i couldnt handle with the best and kindest vet available we tried everything to safe him(and i mean everything) on the longterm..his soul was grater than his little body.(IT was about the time i when joined this forum)
Little boy, i ll miss you forever...this is for you specially and for my grandpa man of freedom, who also broke on through on 3.7.2021...and Ringo, Bob Lee, Kluvertka, Jul and the rest of our rocknroll gang on the other side:

However as Irie is gonna turn 7 this year.he s not showing it at all, i say go to 12,our swine:)..i want ask you-and all my animals except Ringo were adopted-so i am really not into breeding..I know you are very knowledgable

But if Irie would have puppies..i mean pigglets..is there any chance he wouldnt infect the female and than the little pigglets with bordetella?

I am 100% i wont ever find pig with that hair and character..he so dominant and determinated that he sometimes comes across to strangers as resltess of a little bit agressive,....

I will ask the vet when we see him..but i hope we wont need him for long, so i am asking you..:)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:14 am

Bordatella is contagious, and hard to treat in guinea pigs. There would be absolutely no guarantee that the sow and the pups wouldn't get it.

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:35 am

Thank you very much for reply and oppinion.

As happy as i would be if this would happen, i tought its hardly possible, too. vets already told me Irie is lucky too handle this infection as he does..and than of course i would be beyond upset if pigglets and sow would die cause of it or something..in case it would be possible i would keep entire IRies family at home with us..

But if its not..i ll ask the vet what he thinks, if he will say its not possible or the risk is too great i wont go into it.

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:38 am

Or maybe i can already get nebulizer for Iries wife and pigglets before we get them..so we will immediatly treat them..i am just joking;)