Kahlua and Jack

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:33 am

The extra space could be scary. Gidget is like that as well. It took her a few weeks to like her cage. She was in a large pet shop cage at the rescue, and probably before that as well. I throught she would run around and explore in her larger cage. Instead she gets in a corner and then stretches to see what else is there. I've also noticed that if I put dark colored fleece in the corners, she's really cautious. It must look like a shadow or a hole, but she doesn't trust it. Light colors are okay.

It will probably take time to figure things out.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:02 am

They'll still come up to take food from my hand, so I don't think it's a serious problem. I'm working with them and I got Kahlua to come up and nibble my hand. Jack watches him and will stretch out towards me to sniff, but he won't come up to me unless I have food for him. It's interesting what you said about the dark fleece. I got some new fleece that's dark blue and put it in the new cage. Fleece color hasn't been a factor for any of my guinea pigs except for Mr Bubbles, who seems to lay around more like he's unhappy if I put dark fleece in his cage. Maybe the combination of more space, unfamiliar cage in a higher spot and the dark color is causing this. It has slightly improved, so we'll have to see.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:39 pm

Well, as expected, the boys have become accustomed to their new living situation. They don't run away anymore and they come up to nibble my finger, even if I'm not giving them a treat. Getting them out of the cage is a little more challenging because of the height, but nothing a small footstool can't fix.

Something else I noticed is that the wheaking only comes from the youngest piggies. The adults don't do it anymore. Instead of that, they bite at the cage. Not sure why. Its kinda a shame since I love hearing them. Gilligan used to be the loudest wheaker. Not so much anymore, as Kahlua and Jack are neck and neck for that title, with Muffin running a close second. Ruffles does it too, but hers are short and quick bursts.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:21 am

Perhaps noticing how you yourself respond to the cage rattling vs. the wheeking, you might be able to encourage a return to wheeking by trying to ignore the rattling (or at least not responding to it until after you have responded to the wheeking).

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:24 pm

I never really thought about that. I know that Sammy used to be a loud wheaker. He was just under a year old then. He's 3 now and he's long since stopped since he's gotten older. It seems like they stop wheaking around a year of age.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:00 am

Little Kahlua in his tunnel. Jack is hiding behind him because I startled him when I broke out the phone to take his photo. These two always cuddle together, unlike the other pairs who only do it sometimes.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:26 am

Their bed is so clean! Love his colouring! And his cute little feet! Hey darling! You're cute!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:45 pm

Such a contented looking piggy!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:29 am

He looks pretty happy there.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:19 am

I had just changed his bedding. We have a routine around bedding change here. I always put fresh hay in right away. The guinea pigs all explore their fresh cage, some of them move their hut or tunnel where they want it, eat some of the hay and then take their nap. These two usually just go right into their tunnel for a nap after exploring.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:43 am

I love his coloring too!

"The guinea pigs all explore their fresh cage" All of ours have done this. It's so funny.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu May 12, 2022 2:28 am

Cage day today and I decided to get photos of my guinea pigs since it's been a while since I've posted updates on them other than medical issues. How about Kahlua and Jack! They've grown so much. They're nearly a year old now. They're in the tote patiently waiting for me to finish changing their bedding. They are pretty easy to pick up now and they nestle under my chin when I hold them. Very happy little guys. They get excited about everything.