Mr. Bubbles and Scruffy

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:48 am

Mr Bubbles is doing well. He's slowed down on his eating. Not in how much he eats, but in how fast. He used to devour his lettuce in just over a minute and then go after his bell pepper or whatever side veggie I feed him. Now he eats the side veggie first and then finishes his lettuce over the next half hour or so. He still eats his hay the same. I see him foraging it up off and on between his naps and visits with his neighbors Gilligan and Skipper. Pellets are given a small handful every other day.

I tried him on zucchini for the first time yesterday and he enjoyed that. I might give it to him more often. I don't know the nutritional value or if it has anything that would put his health at risk. I peeled it too. What do you guys know about it? How many times a week is it safe to give him? He's in his golden years and is enjoying himself. I don't want to do anything to derail him.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:53 am

Glad to hear he's still doing well. I haven't tried zucchini with Gidget yet. Lacey never liked it - she looked at me like I was trying to pull something over on her. Maybe she thought it was a cucumber at first.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:04 pm

Guessing that in moderation it is fine. I have never thought it was particularly loaded with nutrients though.

It is likely the listing on this page for baby zucchini includes the skin. The USDA website might have more info on regular zucchini with and without skin.
https://www.guinealynx.info/chart.html

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:07 pm

It is. There is other literature around which says it has a notable amount of vitamin C and other nutrients that guinea pigs need, while being relatively low in sugar. I think I can safely put it into the rotation. That would mean he gets an ounce or two of it 3-4 times a week. That should be fine.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:40 pm

I found out that the Town and Country Market has scrap produce for free. Most of it is rotten or unfit for any animal that isn't a hog. Today, there was a prepackaged bag of grape tomatoes with about half of them rotten. That left about two for each guinea pig. I know Mr Bubbles doesn't care for tomatoes but I thought I'd try him out on one. He actually ate it and liked it. I'm not inclined to give him tomatoes very often because of the acids aren't good for a guinea pig his age, but it was nice to see him enjoy the treat.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:51 am

Free produce is nice (if you can find useful things in it). The local Kroger stores all carry markdown bags of produce for a dollar. Might be five apples or three peppers in a bag if they are available! Markdown produce is a staple in my diet :-)

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:11 pm

I check every week. Sometimes they have stuff I can use for my piggies and other times they don't. Its hit or miss, but every penny I can save helps when you have 12 of them to feed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:10 pm

I absolutely agree with you. I have been trying to improve my diet but still am put off by the high cost of vegetables and fruit. Fortunately Kroger marks down a lot of their produce at my favorite store.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:29 am

Starting in spring, I plan to grow enough of my own produce year round so I don't have to buy it. A 10 by 20 foot greenhouse for the lettuce the pigs need with some for us and another for the rest of the vegetables and herbs I need. We know how to can, so well be able to shop less at the grocery store. My wife wants to grow our own beef too. I think 2 or 3 cows should be enough. Butcher one, replace it with a calf and repeat. One cow can feed us for 6 months. Add in the goats, chicken and guinea fowl and we should be able to do it.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:04 am

Mr Bubbles has a new thing. He now gives hugs with the kisses. He's always licked my face when I put it up to his cage door, but now he also nestles into my cheek and neck. Guinea pig hugs and kisses are the best!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:46 am

December 8th was Scruffy Day. I can't believe it's already been 2 years since I lost him. Sometimes it seems like yesterday. I meant to post on the exact anniversary of his passing, but I was off grid until tonight doing some renovation on my friend's house in Vian, Oklahoma. It's pretty remote and there's no phone or internet service on the property. I still miss him to this day. As long as I have guinea pigs, his legacy will continue as they all seem to pick up his habit of biting on the cage for food or attention. Even the youngsters and Buttercup do it. I just know he's looking down from the Rainbow Bridge and telling all of his friends up there how he taught them that.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:40 pm

Some guinea pigs are so special to us. There will always be a place in our hearts for them.

I like Mr. Bubbles hugs.