Sam and Dean

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue May 26, 2020 12:51 am

Those little guys sure look happy to see you!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue May 26, 2020 3:01 am

No less happy than I always am to see them! I just love having all of my piggies.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed May 27, 2020 7:45 pm

Saw a tiny spot of what I thought was dried blood on Sammy's nose. It was barely noticeable. Nothing major and no open wound. I was able to wipe it off and didn't see a hole. It looked like Dean might have nipped him. Sammy has this habit of tipping over the pellet bowl and Dean doesn't like it. I've seen him lunge at Sammy for that several times. I thought that he got him this time. After all of my worry and fighting with him to sit still long enough to clean it up and check him out, the joke was on me. It was a small piece of tomato. I forgot that I gave him that yesterday.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu May 28, 2020 2:02 am

Glad you got to the bottom of this! As far as pellet bowls tipping over, I use a coffee cup hanging on the side of the cage. It's one of the older style cups that's short wide. I just used a bent a paperclip through the handle to hang it. It's at a little slant slightly off floor of the cage so she can't tip it over and the pellets stay clean.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu May 28, 2020 8:58 pm

I have triangle shaped bowls that can be secured in the corner but I quit using them when Sammy climbed up on the bowl and chewed through the part where it attaches. He just doesn't like to eat pellets out of a bowl. I'm confused as to why because he has no problem with eating his veggies out of the flat pan I use. The solution is to put half in the bowl for Dean and the other half on the fleece for Sammy. It doesn't completely stop their argument, but it cut it down considerably.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri May 29, 2020 1:07 am

Funny little critters, aren't they.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri May 29, 2020 2:11 am

Yes. They like to have things their own way. It's one of the things I love about them.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:44 pm

Sammy and Dean had their nails trimmed today. Breezed right through like champs. It was exceptionally hot out today. Even though I let the car AC run for about 20 minutes before putting them in to drive them to the vet, it still felt warm. I was stressing about the heat, but they didn't seem to be affected by it. Some hay and a nice cool drink of water and they took their naps.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:44 pm

Well done, Sammy & Dean.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:12 am

The guys got their graze on this evening. This is the one thing they love the most. Still can't figure out why they get along perfectly fine everywhere but outside in the grass. It's like they have the personality of Sam and Dean Winchester on Supernatural LOL.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:46 am

I bet they are all happy to have some outside time! You take such good care of your guinea pigs.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:23 pm

I spoil them. I doubt there are any guinea pigs more spoiled than mine. Nobody else in the family can prepare their veggies because of how I do it. I trim the ends off of their lettuce leaves and the two bonded pairs get theirs cut into strips so they all get an equal share. Their cucumber is peeled and chopped into spears or slices. The bell pepper is also carefully trimmed and cleaned.

Getting their veggies is not a quick affair. It drives my wife crazy sometimes. I go over each item carefully to make sure it's cleaned and any wilted or otherwise bad parts are trimmed off. When I have to travel and leave them in the care of family, I make up all of the vegetables they'll need while I'm gone and put them into Ziploc bags with names and dates for each piggie. I'm almost obsessive about their food. I think it comes from losing Scruffy to digestive system issues.

Whatever the reason, these little guys enjoy their food and I enjoy providing the best for them. That's why I put in the time and why I decided to try and grow fresh things for them to eat.