The 3 (new) little piggies

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 30, 2020 10:09 pm

You and your guinea pig look so contented.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:07 am

Jay sits on our shoulder like that. She loves it! Love all your piggies especially Oreo Cookie. So glad the pig cages got there and all are happy now! She looks right at home up there!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:34 am

My goodness, those three are lucky. They've found a good home!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:15 pm

I just got it. Ginger & Maryann. Gilligan's Island. Ginger was the "va-va-voom" and Maryann was the "girl next door".

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:27 pm

Not this Mary Ann. She's every bit as beautiful as Ginger. She's part Peruvian.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:47 pm

:-)

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:06 am

Got the newbies (can't call them that for too much longer) off the paper bedding and on fleece like the rest of the piggies. Oreo liked it and spent a good amount of time checking it out. I think it'll be good for him. The girls were a slightly different story. I'm wondering if, even after 3 washes and a high heat drying, they smell the scent from the boys being on it. They immediately started chasing and trying to mount each other. It was a little bit of a scuffle but neither one of them got hurt.

That's the kind of behavior I expected from Sammy and Dean, but they haven't had so much as a rumble strut, lunge or nip. Sammy even grabbed the long stem of grass from Dean and he didn't seem to care. He just grabbed up another one. They're over 2 now, so maybe they're calming down. Anyway, back to the girls. I've never had sows act like this. Is it normal? Could there be some of the scent from the boys still on the fleece? Maybe it is the new environment caused by fleece replacing the paper bedding. Any ideas?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:16 am

I would let it play out. As long as no blood is drawn they should be alright. It could be just more room seeing who is going to be top pig. I have 3 girls together, Jill 5 and a half, Jay 18 months, Jersey 8 mths and Jersey terrorising the other two. No matter how many times they snap at her and chase her she still does it. Hoping she settles down soon for my sanity!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:25 am

Thanks Daisy. They said at the shelter that both of these girls are a year and 1 month old. I don't see how. Ginger especially because she's got that look like a pup. Not sure how to describe it other than her neck has not filled out yet and she's kinda small. Ginger is noticeably bigger, yet small herself. I'd guess about 6-7 months old for Ginger and maybe a year old for Maryann.

Even though she's really small, Ginger flat out terrorizes Maryann. She's actually a very impetuous little girl. A very loud wheeker too. When she wheeks, you can see her mouth open. It's so adorable (the wheeking)!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:10 am

Sounds a right little madam! I can't say she'll grow out of it as Jessie was 4 when we added Jemma and Jasmine(they were 3 weeks) and she chased them, tried to mount them etc. When exhausted she'd sit down and wash their faces. It was funny when they grew she couldn't lift her legs that high but she had fun trying. She started on doing it to their faces but they put their paws down to that! So she gave up and ignored them.

Make sure both are getting food and weigh both, Jersey at times won't let Jay eat so just keep an eye for things like that. Even though we have 2 of everything. Bossy 4 paws!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:28 am

If you're weighing them regularly (weekly is recommended), you will have another way to estimate age.
https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:46 pm

It's kinda hard to get an accurate weight on these piggies since they are still skiddish and try to run away. I have the girls at about 1.8 lbs and Oreo sitting at around 2.3 lbs. They're all noticeably smaller than the boys, all of whom are around 3 lbs or more in the case of BJ.