The Legend of Barry Jenkins

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:41 am

I'm going to get the Ivermectin pour on for BJ. It's a 250ml bottle from Amazon. There are several reviews where it was used on guinea pigs and it was advised here on this forum. What I need help with is exactly how much to put on him. He's a 3 lb piggie or 1364 grams. If I read the Ivermectin page on this site correctly, I should be putting between . 0625 and .0725 cc on him.

Did I read that right? .0625 cc is for a 1250 gram piggie and .0725 is for a 1500 gram one. BJ is 1364 grams, so I should use .068 cc. Is that correct? Also can I apply it to the thin spot on his back if he can reach it, or will it kill mites all over his body by putting it behind his ears?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:35 am

If this is the 0.5% solution (the blue pour-on formula), the dose would be roughly 0.14cc's:
https://www.guinealynx.info/topical_iver ... ur-on.html

It's a small amount, but you can put a little on the spot itself and the rest behind both ears. You'll need a 1ml syringe (no needle) to dose it correctly.

The blue stuff looks like this:

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:57 am

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:10 pm

That's the stuff I looked at on Amazon. 250ml of the 5mg per ml. I'm checking the feed store to see if they have any in stock. If they don't, I'll order it. I can't dose him until Friday anyway because he had an oral dose, so it'll be fine. I don't want to overdose him and add to the problem.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:50 pm

I came across the photo of BJ that was taken before I adopted him and it clearly shows that he had the mites at that time.

Anyway, his medicine is on the way. It's been nice for the last two days, so I'm getting back into his good graces by letting him outside to eat fresh grass. Just in time to start making him angry at me again when I have to put the Ivermectin drops on him.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:50 am

He is so lucky to have you caring for him. The poor guy must have been suffering for a while and it sounds like you’re making headway, even if he’s not happy about it. I hope the topical does the job.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:49 pm

The Ivermectin came today, so I'll be treating BJ this evening after his fleece bedding is changed. I read somewhere that you can put a small drop in each corner of his cage. Is that true?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:59 pm

Not at all. It works by spreading through his skin. You put a small drop behind each ear. Putting it in the cage won't do anything to help.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:52 pm

Ok. I will put a very small amount directly on the spot and the rest behind his ears like Sef suggested. He only gets .014 ml, so we're talking about a minute dose.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:16 pm

Watch the decimal point on that. For the blue pour-on stuff, the dose based on his weight the other day was roughly 0.14---not 0.014. You can double check it on the dosing chart after you weigh him again before treating him.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:36 am

Yeah, one too many decimal places there LOL. He's holding steady at 1364 grams, so he got .14 ml. It went well and he didn't mind it too much. Just a little tickle behind the ears, a head shake and it was done.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:58 am

Great!