Sam and Dean

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:37 am

Something else that might have contributed to the spatting is that the room the piggies are in gets a little warm. I put a 5000 BTU window A/C in to keep it cool for them. I only have to run it with the thermostat knob on 5 and low fan to keep it the right temperature. It's really very cute to see them all stretched out, relaxing and enjoying the nice air it provides. All 4 of the guys do that.

It's set up perfectly with the air pointed away from the cages.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:08 am

"She must have thought the stuffed bunny was going to eat her pellets." LOL! Vicious attack piggy!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:23 pm

Sammy and Dean are enjoying the fresh air and green grass. I used a divider this time because I didn't want to worry about them fighting. I don't think they would since they don't when they're inside, but I don't want to chance it.

Notice that they're comfortable enough to not have the playpen. The collapsible pen is enough with the board over it to provide shade.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:10 pm

Today was Sammy and Dean's turn for a nail trim. They both did very well. Hardly any crying or squeaking 😋. Both of them are healthy. Nothing noted with their hearts and lungs. Their ears were still clear. Sammy tipped the scale at 2.66 lbs while Dean weighs 2.34 lbs. Looks like Sammy might be hogging the veggies a little bit. The vet doesn't want them to be any heavier than they are now.

They both are decent sized, while not quite as big as Mr Bubbles. I think that as long as they don't go over 3 lbs, they'll be ok. Their first birthday is coming up on July 10th. I believe they are done growing. I have plans to build a guinea pig playground with tunnels, fleece forests, ramps and little platforms they can hop on. That will help keep them fit and trim. It's just a matter of making the time to get it done.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:08 pm

We will have to see it when it is done! A fun place to exercise is a great idea.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:38 am

I think I'm going to just build each attraction and spread them out around the playpen rather than build a whole structure with them mounted on the base. That way it saves space when it's not being used. Space at my house is at a premium right now. I'm hoping to change that one of these days.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:40 am

So at tonight's veggie feeding, I watched Sammy and Dean eat their veggies. I always cut them up into medium to large sized chunks because if I don't, they steal the whole lettuce leaves, cucumber, bell pepper or carrot sticks back and forth from each other. Anyway, there's no issues with fighting over them as they let each other get into the bowl and get the pieces. What is going on is that little bugger, Sammy grabs a few pieces and collects them to keep next to him while Dean gets one piece and eats it before going back for another. As far as I can estimate, Sammy is getting between 60-70% of the veggies. He eats faster than Dean too. I think that's why he has passed Dean in the weight department.

You can't help but admire Sammy's ingenuity, but I might have to split the veggies into two bowls and see if Dean can get more of his share. As for the hay and pellets, there way more than plenty to go around, so both piggies are getting their share that. It seems like it's just the veggies.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:49 am

Isn’t it amazing the personalities these little ones have? Who would expect them to strategize the way they do? Mine is a little stinker every morning when I want to take her from her overnight cage and put her in her large cage. I just want her to jump up on her “loft” so I can easily pick her up. So each morning I bribe her with treats and sometimes it works, sometimes she hides. However, when I return her to that cage before bedtime, she jumps right up on her loft because she knows I only move her in the morning.

And she knows time of day. 6 p.m. is supper time for us, the dog, and her. She starts whistling at the top of her lungs in case we forget to eat. Anytime the dog is eating, we get a stern look and then the wheeking and pacing start.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:40 pm

Sammy wheeks at everything. It starts as soon as I walk into the room. It starts a chain reaction of various guinea pig actions. Dean prances around squeaking, Scruffy goes to chewing on his cage wires and Mr Bubbles has this quiet little squeak he does while climbing on his cage. It's so cute! It's like a system to let me know if everyone is ok.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:10 pm

Ah, yes, those guinea pigs are certainly among the "food aware" species :-)

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:55 pm

Even when they have food, they squeak for more. They know when it's time to go outside for fresh grass too. They remind me if I forget. 😋

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:10 am

They can be so wily. Sounds like Sammy = smart + greedy. :P