Finding a new friend for an old piggie

CalvinandHobbes

Post   » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:41 pm

My sweet boy Hobbes had bladder stone surgery a month ago. Today we took him back to the vet and found more stones. Since he is still eating and seems fairly comfortable, the vet prescribed pain meds and recommends monitoring him closely. When he no longer seems comfortable, we will take him in for euthanasia. :(

As sad as I am, I know my other boar Calvin will need companionship after Hobbes passes and I want to be prepared. I am a bit concerned about trying to pair him up with a new pig. He and Hobbes are both 6 now and fairly set in their ways. Calvin is an ornery and independent pig, and I have a feeling he may not react well to a new friend. Calvin and Hobbes were introduced when they were young and they get along fine, but they have never been very close. More like amiable roommates who squabble occasionally (Calvin can be a bit of a bully at times).

My partner said he would like to get a pair of female guinea pigs since we have only ever had males (in a separate cage of course). He suggested that if Calvin's cage is nearby it may be enough social stimulation for him. What are everyone's thoughts and experiences with this? Is it better to try and pair him up with another boar first and see how it goes? Or is living next to other guinea pigs enough for some? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:39 pm

Another possibility might be a single spayed female.

I am sorry about Hobbes. Stones are such a dreadful disease.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:42 am

I think living next to 2 females maybe too much for him after all he is a male. It may drive him crazy trying to get in there. I would suggest maybe a baby male or take him to shelter(if Covid allowed) and see if he picks a friend.

Maybe get 2 females and keep in another room? Or like Lynx said a desexed one for him. I am sorry about hearing Hobbes has more stones. Give him a kiss from me and the girls. Enjoy your time together. Can they not get them out like they did with the first? Never had males before just know it is harder for them to pass them.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:11 am

So sorry for Hobbes! I agree with the idea to try and match Calvin at a rescue. And, don't worry, he will love to have a new companion, even at that age.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:53 pm

So sad to hear about Hobbes. I just went through the whole "keeping them comfortable with meds until euthanasia" thing with BJ. Make the most of the time you have left with him. That's the best advice I can give you. As for companionship for Calvin, if you can't pair him with another pig, you can put them in separate cages and butt them together. They can and will socialize with each other and will be fine. I do that with my single pigs.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:05 pm

I'm sorry to hear about Hobbes and his stone problems. So glad he is in good hands and so well cared for. I only have one guinea pig, so I'll leave the companion advice to others who have multiple pig families.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:30 pm

I'm sorry about Hobbes and his stones. I wish someone could find a way to prevent them.