I'm worried, I might have mites

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:36 am

I've got a pig who could have mites or a fungal infection, I can't tell.

I treated her for mites today, and the treatment for possible fungal infection is arriving tomorrow.

The only symptom is hair loss on her back and mild dandruff in the area. No "puffed up skin", no "lethargy." In fact, if the hair loss never started I wouldn't be worried, she's acting like she usually does and is pooping and eating just fine.

One more thing I should add is when she loses hair it seems to come out in clumps with some skin or something else attached at the base. It doesn't come out in individual hairs.

Also, there seems to be quite a bit of short hair "regrowth" in the area, so it doesn't seem to be affecting new hair in that area. It's not causing a bald patch.

I'm super worried, sorry, so this might sound like the ramblings of a lunatic. I'm taking her to the vets soon. Does this sound like sarcoptic mites, or a fungal thing? She's acting just fine, and it doesn't seem to cause her pain.

She's 5 years old now, and American shorthair if anyone wants to know.

RomeAndSmores1

Post   » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:25 am

Also, if this does sound like mites, I've heard it's treatable at home. I don't think this is mites or a fungal thing because her skin
A- isn't puffed up
B- doesn't have any weird colors or crust
C- just looks like bad dandruff. Problem is- I recently gave her a bath with anti dandruff shampoo. Maybe I should give her another? It's been a few weeks.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:51 am

It sounds more like a fungal problem than mites, to me. Get a good antifungal shampoo and bathe her once a week for three or four weeks and see if that makes a difference. You want something with a "-conazole" as an active ingredient.

https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:55 am

Ditto bpatters. What kind of anti dandruff shampoo? Nizoral? It has an excellent active ingredient for fungus.

I think it is fine that you are treating for both mites and fungus. It does sound like fungus is the most likely. Keep in mind, there can be a few other things that could cause hair loss (not as likely), like Cushings disease. I think your move to do an anti dandruff shampoo is a wise one.
https://www.guinealynx.info/hairloss.html

I would not worry too much if there is not lots of itching and pain and she is eating fine. Just continue with your planned treatments.