Announcing a new member of our guinea pig family!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:35 pm

Daughter picked up a new pig from the Humane Society (curbside) on Sunday. Her name is Victoria (we may change it?), and she's 1.4lb, black, tan & white with a pointy nose. We really haven't gotten a good look at her. They said she's 1 yr. old, but we think she's way too small for that - 6 mos. at the most.

She's terrified and hides in her hut all day. Daughter is worried because she evidently only comes out at night to eat, judging by when hay piles are placed & how much gets eaten when. She eats her carrot & lettuce when it's given to her at the entrance of the hut. According to the Humane Society, she was surrendered due to being in danger ( no elaboration).

What to do about no eating during the day? I just suggested we put the hay right into the hut. We'll see how that goes.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:22 pm

Are you quarantining her right now? I imagine there are other guinea pigs in the house still, no? Sometimes it helps if they know they are not the only guinea pig around.

I have been a leave them alone kind of person but there is also the theory that you handle them a bunch. And offer tasty vegs. Handling ensures you know if they are well.

And congrats on the new member of the family!!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:06 pm

Create a fairly large hiding place for her -- towel over the cage, upside down box, whatever. Put the food and water in it, or very close to the door. As she becomes accustomed to things, gradually move food farther away from the hidey.

Congratulations on the new pig!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:10 pm

She's in a hall separated from the pig room by a wall. She can hear them & probably smell them.

It was very hard to get her from the box into the cage - she did not want to be held. We usually leave new pigs alone for a few days until we think they're ready to be held without being terrified. Daughter talks to her quietly when she's near the cage, giving veggies or cleaning. We have put a towel over the cage. I think we should move the water & pellet bowl closer.

edit 4:21
Ok. Daughter's getting a box ready to accommodate food. She was holding Gracie near the cage & Grace makes really loud happy noises. Daughter heard Victoria eating, but it stopped as soon as Grace went back into her cage.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:04 pm

Congrats! :)

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:18 pm

Congratulations on your new family member, Bookfan! That's pretty exciting!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:06 am

So glad you have a new fur baby. Hope she settles in soon. Maybe a stuff toy to snuggle up too may help? Poor little mite! Will she get a vet check? We take all our new pigs to vet for a once over! Enjoy your new baby!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:52 am

I hope she settles in soon. I always use the same words to do something to a cage, as pigs learn fast. Takes 14 days tops to understand the difference between yummies, checking, water, cleaning, looking, etc.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:20 am

I did notice daughter saying "here's your dinner (lettuce)" as she always does with all the pigs & I think she's doing something similar when she'd getting ready to clean, etc. I'll mention it to her. Fourteen days - pigs are smarter than most people think!

Yes, getting a new pig is always so exciting. Daisymay, husband mention vet check - we haven't gotten that far yet!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:14 pm

pigjes - daughter just said she'll try your approach.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:36 pm

How's the newbie doing?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:54 am

She's progressing. Daughter has held her a couple of times & she stayed hidden in the towel as we expected. Daughter was by the cage a couple of days ago & Vicky came out of her box, made a moderately-paced run around the cage & went back in her box. She still doesn't seem to be eating during the day. Sticks her nose out of the box sometimes.