Questions on Fostering (DFW, TX)

emb4

Post   » Sat May 09, 2020 5:16 pm

(First post disclaimer, let me know if I should do something differently.)

So I am looking to foster guinea pigs, as I’d like to help them, gain more experience, etc without committing to a whole lifespan. I have previous experience and would really love to help some piggies, just need shorter term. However, I’ve been unable to find a rescue in my area to foster through. So my questions are:

1. I’ve contacted Texas Rustlers GPR but they said they are not fostering. Any suggestions on other rescues/shelters in Texas within a reasonable driving distance from Colleyville? (DFW area)
2. Is it a bad idea to foster independently through online sites like Craigslist? I wouldn’t want to unintentionally support breeders or end up with more than I can handle, but it seems like you could do it carefully?

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this and replies.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 09, 2020 10:20 pm

Are there any regular animal shelters that take in guinea pig that you could foster for?

I would be reluctant to go looking for guinea pigs on Craigslist. Only other thing I can think of is looking for people who are going through hard times due to COVID19 and take care of their guinea pigs until their lives are sorted out again (you would have to figure out a way to make sure you could keep in contact with them). Or check out homeless shelters perhaps?