Female guinea pig with genital bumps?

gr8lonewolf

Post   » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:47 pm

Hi,
I just noticed my female guinea pig, aged three years old, has some weird bumps around her genitalia. Bumps weren't there two weeks ago. I need help identifying what it is. Could it be genital warts or haemorrhoids? Her sister and mom in the same cage as her don't have these bumps.

Picture as attached http://imgur.com/gallery/RdQ9Pab

Thanks for your help!

gr8lonewolf

Post   » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:13 am

I uploaded some clearer images. I suspect it's cancer or vaginal polyps. My pig is still her active self and there's no obstructive symptoms yet. https://imgur.com/a/R4oOApt

Thanks again for your time.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:06 am

That is very interesting! I am cropping one of your pics and adding it here so people can see it (let me know if that is okay):

Genital warts, polyps, (your good guesses) or maybe a vaginal virus of some sort?
Cancer and hemorrhoids are unlikely.

I would note how this progresses. If they go away, a virus is a reasonable guess.

gr8lonewolf

Post   » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:13 am

@Lynx

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yeah, that is perfectly fine. Thanks!
I'll be taking her to the vet tomorrow to get it checked. I haven't heard of HPV in guinea pigs apart from them being innoculated in em for research purposes. There's not too much literature with pictures on it either. :/

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:54 pm

I will be very interested to find out what the vet thinks.

gr8lonewolf

Post   » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:13 am

Went to the vet today. He said it's probably viral warts. Unlikely malignancy. Common in guinea pigs. He gave me some antifungal/viral/antibiotic cream to put on it for a week. Huge relief. :D

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:09 pm

Viral warts sound reasonable. Unusual he would call it common in guinea pigs as I don't think I've seen it.

Please do check in every once and a while and let us know if they change or go away.