Tooth Thickness

shikharv

Post   » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:28 pm

My female guinea pig is 4+ YO and some time back she broke her front lower tooth somehow, the tooth did grow back but the thickness of the tooth is much more compared to the others. Even after eating Hay, the tooth does not grind much compared to the others, resulting in elongated tooth.
Need help on what can be done as I don't think getting the tooth removed is an option due to her age.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:46 pm

A skilled veterinarian might use a bone rounger to clip a small bit of the overgrown part of the tooth off. Sometimes a glass nail file will work to shorten it.
https://www.guinealynx.info/teeth.html

shikharv

Post   » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:08 pm

Thanks for your reply, and yes, that has been a routine now. but i guess that is very much stressful for her?
is there anything that can be done for long term solution, as this routine might impact in long run as the thickness of the tooth is twice or maybe thrice the normal. Moreover, what could be the reason of irregular thickness?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:01 pm

Sometimes when there is an issue with a tooth that causes a break, the initial cause can contribute to the new tooth growing back oddly. And sometimes it can take 2 or three regrowths to get things back to normal.