Sneezing attacks

Brist1cm

Post   » Thu May 14, 2020 5:38 am

I am I looked in her bum and saw a tiny poo (super tiny and it finally came out). Should I continue with food? She's not losing a ton of weight and I don't want to jam too much in of nothings moving. Would water still be fine?

She was eating 6-10 mL of critical care and 10mL every 2.5hours

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu May 14, 2020 6:02 am

She has to continue to eat, if her tummy doesn't keep moving vital organs will start to shut down. Small tiny poops mean not enough food is going in. Perhaps read this? https://www.guinealynx.info/search_bloat.html You can speak to your vet, do they have an after hours service?

How is she in herself? Bright, alert, moving around? Maybe the Baytril is affecting her and causing her to stop pooping and affecting her tummy. Give it time, just see if she gets more poops? I'm not a vet but hoping someone can help you! Keep us posted please!

Brist1cm

Post   » Thu May 14, 2020 6:10 am

They don't have after hours so I will call in 3 hours when they open.She is more of herself but still tired and lethargic mostly. She is definitely alert. She's also spitting out most of the water I give her (via syringe)

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu May 14, 2020 6:25 am

Well if she is alert and more of herself then just keep going as you are. When your vet opens talk to them about heart medication. Perhaps go off Baytril and try Bactrim? It is gentler on the tummy.

Keep up the massaging, if you have a wheat bag warm it, wrap in a towel and put on her tummy making sure she doesn't get too hot. This worked for Jessie. A massage cushion is also good. I know someone on here suggested to me with Jessie a warm bath can help. But in Bella's current state I wouldn't suggest trying that.

Know I am here for you, keep her moving and loads of massaging! Keep us posted! Glad she is at least making improvement!

Brist1cm

Post   » Thu May 14, 2020 6:32 am

Will do. Her breathing is also more labored (physically) but she doesn't sound labored, possibly stress since she has more energy to "fight" the syringe feedings now

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu May 14, 2020 6:53 am

Do you have another piggy? It's disgusting I know but the best Probiotic there is is grabbing a healthy poop from another piggy and squash it and mixed with water and syringe feed it to Bella and see if that helps. I don't have the stomach for it but people on here swear by poop soup. No harm in trying, might help?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 14, 2020 11:13 am

Watch to see if she is reingesting her poops. Call your vet and bring up your concerns. If she is eating enough or if you are hand feeding enough, normally there will be poops. Evaluate her for bloat.
www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#bloat

Brist1cm

Post   » Thu May 14, 2020 12:40 pm

We went to a different vet, she doesn't have much in her but gas. She wants to give her the motility drug and add another antibiotic, doxy(something... We're still in vet parking lot), and make her take baytril twice a day. This vet didn't seem optimistic. Let's hope she gets to pooping.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu May 14, 2020 12:58 pm

Doxy is a very strong drug and my two girls Jaffa and Joy had nothing but trouble with it! It affected their tummies and gave them mushy poops. Jaffa passed away after 3 months and Joy after 4 months. No matter what we tried we could not get their tummies right after being on Doxy. https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotics.html

Bactrim is a much safer drug and gentle on their tummies. Metomide is could for motility issues, mine were on a tenth of a tablet every 12 hours. What dose rate is Bella on? Not heard of a guinea pig being on two antibiotics at the same time. We have always just had them on the one at a time as antibiotics mess with their guts too much. May I ask why you saw a different vet? The other vet knew Bella and her issues.

I would ask for Bactrim and only use that with the Probiotic and motility drug. In my opinion I would not use two antibiotics especially if she is not pooping and has wind. That's just my opinion. Wishing you and Bella luck! Hope I wake to good news again!

Brist1cm

Post   » Thu May 14, 2020 1:18 pm

The other vet couldn't see her til next Friday, so I said heck no. I explained all her issues and he did belly and abdomen xrays he can't tell from her lungs but suspects pneumonia. I'm not sure what to do anymore. The baytril didn't seem to upset her but then she just stopped pooping. She's been on priobiotics (alot!)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu May 14, 2020 2:01 pm

Daisymay, baytril and bactrim are not interchangeable. Bactrim is generally easier on the digestive system, but it is most effective against a fairly small number of organisms. Baytril is a broad-spectrum antibiotic, effective against a large number of organisms, but harsher on the digestive tract. It is not appropriate to recommend substituting Bactrim for Baytril just because digestive problems happen. Bactrim may not work at all against the organism the guinea pig has, and the pig will be worse off than if the digestive problems were carefully managed.

Brist1cm, doxycycline is usually well tolerated by guinea pigs. I had several pigs take it more than once, and never had any difficulty with it. Keep on with the bloat treatments -- medications, vibration, movement, etc, and keep your fingers crossed. Good luck!

Brist1cm

Post   » Thu May 14, 2020 2:10 pm

I will try, she doesn't even want to swallow food now via syringe. It's so upsetting to see them give up.