Is this Bumblefoot?

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:13 am

So glad he’s doing well! That’s such good news!

Hedra2

Post   » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:04 pm

So I came home from work today and checked on the guinea pigs and our old man Halloween was sitting with his face in the corner. I picked him up and he has something wrong with his eye. He’s always had a fatty lump in it but the vet was not concerned. Now It is red and swollen around the outside, with a cloudy spot in the middle. Vets here are closed for the day, but I will call in the morning and see if they will see us. In the meantime what do you guys think?

Not sure if this is right to attach a picture
https://flic.kr/p/2ktRoaY

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:44 pm

Might be a hay poke. But do get him to a vet as soon as you can. Eye injuries are very painful. And even if this isn't an injury, it still needs treatment.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:06 pm

Here is a crop of your pic. Is the eye itself swollen?

Hedra2

Post   » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:10 pm

Yes the eye appears swollen and has a nasty cloudy spot in the centre that looks like a possible scratch.

I’m going to do what I can to get him to the vet but it’s 2hrs to the only vet who see pigs around here, with Covid they are swamped so I’m not sure what’s gonna happen

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:05 am

If it helps, eyes are the one thing about a guinea pig that a regular small animal vet can treat. Eyes are eyes are eyes, and as long as the vet doesn't try to give an oral antibiotic to the pig that it can't tolerate, s/he should be able to treat an eye injury.

Hedra2

Post   » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:38 am

Thank you that does help. The 3 vets here in town sadly won’t even see guinea pigs for any reason so I still have to leave town, but maybe that means the one that is only 45 minute could see us. We don’t normally go there as he doesn’t know much about pigs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:13 am

In a situation like yours (with no vet close by), it would be wonderful if your distant vet could help you remotely - perhaps not in this situation (there are several things that would need to be checked out in person) but in other situations perhaps. Starting antibiotics early when appropriate, for example.

I hope you are able to successfully sort this out.

Hedra2

Post   » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:47 am

The vet that we normally go to is actually pretty decent at trying to help remotely but I still need to go see her to pick up any meds.

They were closed yesterday when I noticed his eye though and are open again in 15 minutes

Hedra2

Post   » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:59 am

Well I called the three vets here in town knowing they would turn us away but hoping maybe cuz of covid travel restrictions they would see us. As expected they all said no (one rude receptionist laughed and then apologized for laughing) The place 45 minutes away would not even answer or return my calls, but the vet clinic 1.5 hrs away let us come even though they are not supposed to see people from other communities, and they even had a guinea pig knowledgeable vet in today.

She said it was one of three things;
1. A REALLY bad corneal ulcer from an injury with a ton of swelling and inflammation though she’d never seen one with so much swelling before

2. A dental abscess that was spreading up behind his eye. His mouth and teeth looked good though (except his misaligned front teeth but I care for and trim them at home myself)

3. A tumour behind his eye :(

So we’re starting by treating for 1 & 2 with oral antibiotics, topical antibiotics, and pain meds and we will hope for the best and reassess in 10 days

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:48 am

I hope it is a lesser ill. So glad your guinea pig was seen!

Hedra2

Post   » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:50 am

Not sure if it’s wishful thinking but I think his eye is looking somewhat better this morning after just one dose of meds last night. He definitely seems happier with pain meds on board.