Binky's health

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:33 pm

Flushing with salty water is required twice a day, I have been doing this since the first infection as long as the meds are required.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:08 pm

Not rereading but has he had a recent xray to check look at the extent of the infection?

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:38 am

If it doesn't go away, I was planning on asking her to take one, besides doing a swab.

He seems very happy today, fever has gone again, and he was not up for getting treated and medicated, which is always the case when a piggie thinks it's fully healed, lol. So, that one dosage of oral meds extra seems to have helped already. Fingers crossed.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:26 am

Hopefully he will beat this infection soon.

I know you said you tried all kinds of hay, even the pressed kind, but I was looking for my piggies and found this site with pressed hay with herbs in them. They have a couple of types.

https://www.eko4petz.nl/a-53395728/hooi ... escription

They also have a 0.5% calcium food, but it is 40% grain.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:55 am

Cool!! I will try these soon! Thanks a lot!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:27 am

Update: the oral and topical antibiotics did not solve it. Each day I used it after the initial improvement, it got worse. I got the impression that the droplets just formed a liquid layer that sealed off the bacteria without killing them, and in 12 hours, the bacteria produced a massive amount of goop, yuck.

So, I switched to more oral (looked the dosage up) and Fucithalmic again, which did the trick. He did have a few days after treatment of forming a lot of wax, as Fucithalmic tends to dry out the treated area, but that got back to normal over a week's time. He has been without any issues since.

And he's happy again. He developed a new funny thing with all that ear fuss. When he has to go back to the cage, I kiss him and he wants me to kiss one front paw, he puts it on my nose. I then kiss his paw (ignoring where it has been, I can deal with that after, lol) and he smiles at me. He keeps doing that till I burst out in laughter.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:09 am

That is amazing, pigjes. You have such a special relationship with all of your fur-kids.

So glad he is doing much better!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:25 am

I love your descriptions of Binky. Such a character! I am betting there is a lot of love in that little body.

And so glad you found a solution for this!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:42 pm

Aw, that's adorable!

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:41 am

So, I discovered that cleaning his ears with the same stuff I use, namely rose oil with garlic, which feeds and is antifungal, does the trick to keep ear infections away. It's not an increase of wax, but just like in my case, eczema, which makes skin flake off even in sizey chunks, mingle in wax and gets stuck if it's not removed. That ball of skin and fur blocks the ear canal and an infection is inevitable.

Binky has had arthritis for a long time now, it started very young. His vet said then that if he were human, he would have to have his knee replaced. Since his heart issues, we knew he had to steer away from an NSAID as long as possible. He always got glucosamine + collagen + turmeric daily and it worked well, up to a few weeks ago.

Of course, him being the only pig we ever had who tells us as good as possible what ails him, in contrast to 99.9% of pigs who hide illnesses, he did so by whimpering loudly. When I asked what the problem was, he trampled his legs up and down again, just like the first time before he was diagnosed. When I examined him, and asked after taking his leg in my hand "Does this one hurt?", he stretched the sore leg firmly till he was sure that I got it. His right leg.

We doubled his supplements, which is still within limits, but it didn't help enough. It helped, but he still whimpered a few times per day, even at night, which he never did before. The vet examined him and confirmed what I thought, namely that he has arthritis in his right hip as well.

Personally, I lost a few pigs with heart issues on Metacam, so now he's on Rycarfa (Carprofen). The risk of this medication is loss of appetite and stool issues, but I have to say in his case, it's the opposite. He ate so much the first day, he just kept on eating with short bursts of rest in between, that he was a bit bloated late at night, so he had to get some Simethicone. Since day 2, he learned to pace himself, lol, but he has significantly eaten more since he started Rycarfa. He's cheerful, runs fast again, popcorns again and he's so happy, he has kissed us tons out of gratitude. He's such a charmer, isn't he!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:36 pm

What a clever little guy to figure out you can help him. So glad he has some relief and is eating and feeling better.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:12 pm

I have always been impressed by Binky. I hope Carprofen helps his arthritis for a long time!