Senior pig Oreo- bladder stone recovery

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:54 am

Let us know how things go for her. I hope she recovers fine.

ilpigs

Post   » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:22 pm

Vet was worried there are signs of a beginning URI, so got some Baytril and some more meloxicam as she is still sensitive in her bladder during the exam. Trace amounts of blood are present in her urine, but that could be from the irritation just as much from another stone beginning to form; and that has been consistent since passing her stone.

I elected not to do anything else at this point and continue with pain management and supportive care in hopes she will start to bounce back. Fingers crossed the antibiotics help.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:07 am

Darn. Fingers here crossed for you, too.

You mentioned a probiotic...I would very much recommend it with the Baytril. We typically give it about an hour or so after the antibiotic.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:47 am

Another set of fingers crossed here too! Hoping she improves.

ilpigs

Post   » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:16 am

Yesterday she was moving around a bit and looking alert. Unfortunately today she is just lethargic and lying completely flat. I’m afraid she is dying. I tried to syringe feed pedialyte and critical care but not sure how much got in. She doesn’t seem to be in discomfort, at least.

This is a new situation for me. Does anyone know how long it takes a guinea pig to pass? 😭 I’m hoping she’ll perk up but I am just afraid this was all too much trauma for her old body to recover from. :/

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:18 pm

Oh no, I'm so sorry. It does sound like she is not doing well. Is she responsive if you pick her up, or does she seem out of it? When you tried to feed her, did she chew and swallow or did it just seem to dribble out?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:21 pm

I am so sorry to hear it looks like you may lose her.

ilpigs

Post   » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:49 pm

She was a little responsive but seemed to lose strength throughout the day. I got an emergency vet appointment this afternoon but she passed away a short time ago. She seemed to just wanted me to hold and pet her and got very upset if I tried to put her down or move her, so I am glad she didn’t have to go somewhere strange away from me. She was chirping when I petted her right before she passed, so I don’t think she was in a lot of pain at the very end.

I don’t think I could have done anything else for her, and she was a great guinea pig, but I am so sad right now. Thanks for all the help.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:22 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry. We had the same outcome last year with a 7 year old male who underwent bladder stone surgery. It's just a lot for their little bodies to handle at that age. I'm so glad you had those last moments with her.

Take care.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:09 pm

I am so sorry for your loss, ilpigs. It is so hard to lose one of these little guinea pigs. They are so easy to love. You have our sympathy.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:39 am

My condolences for your loss. You gave Oreo such good care. I’m sure it comforted her that you were with her when she passed.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:30 pm

I'm so sorry. I'm glad she had you with her at the end - sounds like it really comforted her.