Wrong Bactrim dose.

feliciapetey

Post   » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:59 pm

My husband took one of our boys in today for a uti. Vet prescribed Bactrim. Barney is 850 grams and was put on only .1cc of Bactrim. This seems awfully low. It was the same clinic we always go to, but apparently a different vet seen him today. She only gave us a small bottle of 4 ccs worth. He should at least be getting .5cc am I correct?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:51 pm

What color is the Bactrim? Does it have the concentration of the suspension? I ask because there is now a second mix that is stronger. It is not pink (if I remember right). If it's the regular dose, yes, your calculations are closer.

The Bactrim dose is pretty standard though. They ought to be able to verify it pretty easily.
www.guinealynx.info/antibiotics.html#bactrim
https://www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html

It should be:
30 mg/kg q12h

But make absolutely sure what the concentration of the suspension is.
Bactrim is a commonly used human and veterinary antibiotic and generally comes in a standard suspension. Each 5.0 ml of this pediatric oral suspension (one of the drugs sometimes referred to as "the pink stuff") contains 200mg sulfamethoxazole and 40mg trimethoprim/5ml for a total of 240mg active ingredients/5ml or 48mg/cc. A dose of 0.625 cc would provide 30mg bactrim for a pig of one kilo (2.2 pounds).

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:16 am

Ditto Lynx. What concentration is the med you were given? And what color is it?

If it's a higher concentration than the "normal pink" stuff, the dose and the amount the vet gave you may be correct.

feliciapetey

Post   » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:34 am

It's the pink stuff. I have a call out to them, but won't be able to find out until Monday.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:07 pm

Color notwithstanding, Bactrim (and any of the other names it goes by) can be compounded in any of a zillion concentrations. The concentration (in mg/mL, or mg/5 mL usually) should be on the label. Take a look and see what it says.

Give the lower dose (don't take any chances) until you can find out for sure.

feliciapetey

Post   » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:26 pm

I just talked to the vet tech and she told me the concentration in 200/40 per 5ml. She said .1cc is accurate. I told her no.. based of the standard dosing it isn't. She asked me where I heard that, online? This is ridiculous. Just a few months ago I had one of my other pigs put on the same concentration for a bite wound and he was put on .6cc and he is only slighted higher in weight than this one. Like I said, this is a different vet but same clinic. She is supposedly calling me tomorrow.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:33 pm

Cite James W. Carpenter's Exotic Animal Formulary, Fourth Edition, page 482.
Trimethoprim/sulfa 15-30 mg/kg PO,SQ, IM q12h

He has four citations for that.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:36 am

Vet techs come in two flavors: superb, and south of useless. The second variety is far commoner than the first. :-/

I never believe what a tech tells me unless I either know them and trust them, or know that what they're telling me is correct, from experience, GL, and/or the vets themselves.

Discuss this with the vet directly. If the tech messed up the dose (not saying they did, but if they did), the vet needs to know that and correct it for other pigs they see.

Ditto Lynx; cite Carpenter's.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:47 am

I put "trimethoprim/sulfa guinea pig" in google to see what I could find for you.

The first four hits were GL. I couldn't find a good reference for you except for GL online.

feliciapetey

Post   » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:41 pm

I just got off the phone with the vet, and she isn't budging on the dose.. I'm going to go ahead and do .1cc for 10 days and when that's done, and if he is still having blood in his urine (which I imagine he will) I will call and set up an appt with my original vet who I know and trust.

feliciapetey

Post   » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:02 pm

She just called back admitting her mistake. Picking up more of the Bactrim today. That was frustrating!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:11 pm

Well! Better late than never!

We don't make this medical stuff up!