The Legend of Barry Jenkins

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:32 pm

I am amazed he didn't stretched out with his legs fully extended laying in the sun. He looks like he is trying to work out how to get rid of the bars or the grass is greener on the other side. So glad he had fun outside.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:33 pm

What a lucky guy he is!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:57 am

He is one very laid-back pig!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:34 pm

Today is a bit chilly so I wasn't able to get them outside. I think I teased him a little yesterday because he keeps coming up to the door and squeaking. He got a taste of it yesterday and he wants more. Another month or so and I should be able to get him and the rest of the herd more time outside.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:00 pm

Poor Barry Jenkins. He's got this unscratchable itch on his hind quarter. No hair loss and no visible bugs, flakes, scabs or blemishes of any kind. Mites are microscopic so I wouldn't be able to see them, but there are other bugs like lice that can cause itching. The lack of hair loss or other mite signs may rule them out. He's got red pigment in his skin because of his breed, so it's difficult to tell if anything is off with the color in the area, but it doesn't look any different than the rest of his body. It just itches a lot. He's got an appointment on Friday, which is the soonest I can get him. I tried to get him a walk in, but the vet is booked solid today and on vacation until Friday.

In the meantime, it doesn't seem like he's suffering otherwise, so I'm just giving him all the love I can and keeping him as comfortable as possible. I cut a big chunk out of my finger with my power saw, so I'm a little limited on how much I can handle the guinea pigs right now. My family is helping me with the piggies right now. If he's still, it doesn't itch as much. He lays under his house or fleece forest a lot, but he does come out to drink and eat hay. When he itches, he turns himself over and flips around like he's extreme popcorning. It's not a seizure because he's doing that to try and reach the itch, but he can't. His oil gland is a little crusty too. I cleaned it the best I could, but he needs a vet's care for it. He came from the humane society with it because I don't let my guinea pigs get like that.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:30 pm

So why not treat him for mites? Hair loss can be a late-stage symptom. They can itch a LOT before they start losing hair.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:49 pm

Ditto. I would absolutely go ahead and treat for possible mites. Ivermectin can kill a number of other parasites as well, including lice -- although, you would be able to see lice (they are tiny but visible to the naked eye).

As far as a crusty grease gland, I treat with extra virgin cold compressed coconut oil. Works exceedingly well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:12 pm

Yes, just put some of that oil on and let it sit. Works great!

I am very sorry about your injury. I hope the finger heals okay.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:02 pm

I'll look for something over the counter for mites. Any suggestions? As far as my finger, the saw chewed it up pretty good. I may still lose the top section of it. We'll have to see how it goes.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:54 pm

It needs to be Ivermectin. See:
https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:09 am

It needs to be Ivermectin.
Many a time I have used puppy and kitten Revolution to great success. Ivermectin is just far too expensive here! To get all 6 piggies done it comes to over $100.00AUD.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:30 am

The pour-on Ivermectin can be purchased at farm & feed stores in the US for around $30. Cheap, effective and easy to dose. It is also available online, often for around $20 or so:

https://www.revivalanimal.com/product/i ... t-supplies

Revolution, on the other hand, requires a prescription.